With the holidays approaching it can be a great time of year to plan all those fun activities you’ve been wanting to do. Those ones you keep putting off because you didn’t have the time or money. Sometimes, maybe even the energy. Don’t let your holidays disappear before your eyes without feeling like you made the most of them. I’ve found that in the past, even when I’ve have a free day, it can be hard to think of fun things to do that won’t take up an entire weeks entertainment budget. All you need is a little creative thinking, you don’t have to make a choice between fun and your budget goals!
Being on a budget should not impede you from enjoying your break and having fun. When you put your mind to it, there are really a huge list of things that you can do for fun over the holidays, and they can certainly be done without spending a lot of cash! Plan ahead and rethink your entertainment options, they really are unlimited.
If you have particular interests not mentioned, this list could be even longer! Here are 40 Frugal Ideas to Have Fun These Holidays to get your started! Most of these are free or can be done with very little cost. 🙂
- Have a Movie marathon day/night. Select a theme such as 80s movies, or your favourite actors films. Invite friends or family over and have a poll on what to watch.
- Sit down with a partner or friend and listen to an album from start to finish reading over the lyrics. In today’s world of Spotify, Netflix and Social Media, this activity really does get pushed to the back burner.
- Go star gazing. Go on a road trip out of the city and watch the night sky.
- Colour. Grab an adult colouring book and some pencils and get colouring.
- Read a book. Start a new book or read an old favourite.
- Start to learn an instrument or if you already play one, learn a new song. Learning one with a friend – even better.
- Cook a nice meal or learn a completely new recipe.
- Bake dessert or a cake. Make something special like creme brulee or waffles.
- Play a video game – if you’ve got your old Wii or N64 crack it out. Invite a friend or two over.
- Invite friends over for a board game night. Ask your friends to bring over one game each. Ideas include Chess, Pictionary, Monopoly, Cards Against Humanity or Uno.
- Watch a documentary about a topic you are passionate about. There are stacks on Netflix to choose from.
- Watch a stand up comedy show, again there are heaps on Netflix. Or better yet find a free comedy night in your city.
- Binge watch a new TV show that you’ve been dying to watch.
- Have a picnic.
- Go for a walk. Drive to a new area for a change of scenery.
- Go out for coffee with a friend or relative.
- Do something artistic; draw, paint, or get crafty.
- Write something a poem, short story, or try your hand at writing song lyrics.
- Go to a local BBQ area with friends. Bring some sporting equipment and have a few games.
- Attend a free local event or festival.
- Check out the library and read some new books.
- Go to a free Museum or Art Gallery you’ve been wanting to go to for ages.
- Take a drive to a national park for a hike or bush walk.
- Grab the bikes and go for a ride with your partner or friend.
- Swim at the local pools or go explore a new beach. Don’t forget to check out the rock pools!
- Hire a kayak for an hour and explore on water whilst getting some sun and exercise.
- If it’s a hot day, have a water fight. Hit up your local Kmart or cheap shop for water guns or water bombs.
- Find a local pool-hall and play a few games.
- Check out online event guides for free (or affordable) gigs.
- Invite friends over for a cocktail party. Get everyone to bring a bottle of alcohol and juice/soft drinks so you can make a few different drinks.
- Go to a botanic garden and explore the different gardens.
- Take a trip to the city and bring your camera. Take photos.
- Try and find cool cinema playing some unique movies. A foreign film, premiere film or old fave.
- Check out Things To Do on Trip Advisor in your city and do what you haven’t done yet.
- Go camping for the weekend. Or camp in the backyard.
- Go to a Drive in Movie.
- Redecorate your home. Shop your home for decor items to freshen up your home. Bring out a new quilt cover and sheet sets, put a new photo in your frames, put on a nice smelling candle and swap your decor items around.
- Have a pamper night. Get in your favourite robe, make a DIY face mask & put a hair treatment in. Run a warm bath with some candles and chill out music.
- Teach yourself a new skill you’ve always wanted to learn. How to sew, sing, dance, take photos. Look up videos on YouTube and start learning!
- If you’re feeling extra motivated, get organised. Declutter the items in your home that you no longer need. Scan any old photos, or cards you want to let go of. Go through your wardrobe and cull anything you no longer wear. Tackle the kitchen cabinets and donate anything that’s not needed. You will feel amazing after all that excess is gone!
What Frugal Ideas For Fun These Holidays do you have? Share them in the comments below so we can grow this list even further 🙂
Need some tips for gift ideas this Christmas? Check out 10 Minimalist Gift Ideas that Add Value to Your Life – Not Stuff!